Monday, February 22, 2010

Of Movies That Move

2 days ago I watched Shutter Island, which was quite possibly the best psychological horror/thriller movie I've ever seen. ... Okay if that's not saying much then it's the best psychological horror/thriller movie that I've ever WIKI-ed. And that is really saying something.

Also, over the last 5 days I've watched in spurts on the train The Wrestler. Normally watching a movie in parts doesn't really give you the full emotional effect that it's supposed to, but in the last scene and the subsequent credit track written by Bruce Springsteen (whom I've never really had any love for) I found myself tearing. It was quite possibly the most heart breaking movie I've ever watched in a long time. In fact to date I can only think of 3 other books that have ever induced such emotions in me, Charlotte's Web (I cried when I read the book the first... 2 or 3 times. The movie, not so much. Come to think of it the only thing the movie had going for it was Dakota Fanning), Great Expectations (no tears, just alot of emotion) and The Once and Future King. (I sat at my table in my office there just being overwhelmed for almost 30mins)

I'm sure there are others, but these are 3 from the top of my head. And somehow no other movies sprang to mind. I realise that most of the Literature that moves me usually has some sort of an unhappy ending. (Spoiler) And it's not that I like unhappy endings or anything. I actually far prefer happy endings to unhappy ones, and especially detest books/movies that throw in an unhappy ending just for the sake of it, to add controversy and drama. It's quite disgusting. Unhappy endings arn't something you throw in at the end, or worse, BEFORE the end of the story, the good ones are inevitable. It's not a shock in terms of a plot twist, but building up to it allows the full weight of the tragedy to come crashing down when it happens.

My need to discuss Literature is pretty damn high now that I've realised that I'm taking 3 Maths and 1 Econs module this sem. Sigh.

No comments: